Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Game Night



         6/52: A picture of my children once a week every week in 2014.

     Not planned and a surprising teenage reality check, the birth of my oldest son Bear is nothing short of a blessing. Before Bear came along I was a tempest, eager to sign up for any cause as long as it promoted my rebellion. And while I didn't fall into the role of mother easily, Bear's beautiful soul captivated me. I struggled as a young adult to balance my desires and the needs of this young man. I floundered as a parent on a daily basis yet his kind, laid back, gregarious nature enabled him to roll with it. The fact he survived his tumultuous childhood proves he has the strength to conquer anything.   
    The eventual break up with Bear's father left me broken hearted, hateful, and bitter. To this day I firmly believe Bear's quick wit and loving manner healed my soul. It is my nature to be cynical, condescending, and skeptical. But the lessons I have learn, and continue to learn, being Bear's mother are the influential trebuchet forcing me to become a better person. 


    When Monkey and Bunny arrived, Bear was getting ready to head off to college. Being a parent of a blended family made up of children with radical age differences is challenging. I desperately wanted Monkey and Bunny to experience the joy Bear's mere presence brings. I also wanted Bear, an only child until the age of 15, to bond with his siblings. I feared Bear would feel replaced, unwanted, or worse as if our family and it's memories before his brother and sister were born were now obsolete. But like all things, Bear has taken the entry of these two interlopers in stride. 
          To create a cohesive family, balancing the needs of the child who has grown into an adult and now living independently, and  two littles' in our home, we started a new tradition- Game Night. Needless to say Bear's attendance could not be overshadowed by even the most spectacular of guests. On game Night Monkey's impatience can be daunting. "When will he get here?", "What time is it now?", "It's six o'clock. Where is he?", etc. etc. etc. And though it is not poker night with the guys, I hope Bear does see and feel how grateful we all are he is our son and brother.  
      

No comments:

Post a Comment